What is Fiverr?
Before you sign up for a digital marketplace that manages your hard-earned money, you will probably want a few questions answered such as, how much does it cost? Is it easy to set up? Can I make a lot of money? How long does it take to get paid? And, what the heck is a gig?
What the heck is a gig?
Let’s start with a gig which is the heart of this digital marketplace. A gig is Fiverr’s word for service. It’s similar to an ad in the yellow pages or a Sunday paper. It simply displays your services on their platform so that shoppers can find the best deal. You can add different variations, different designs, and play around with its content until it starts to sell. This is a chance for you to show your creative side, so don’t hold back.
Open an account
Opening an account is pretty straight forward, first, you’ll carefully create a professional username along with a password.
Once you’ve created your account, click on your profile picture and choose “My Settings“. Then, click on “Dashboard” and then click on “Start Selling“.
Once you have gone through Fiverrs onboarding process, you can watch their 3 videos or the one above for a better understanding of the platform.
After you watch the videos, you can start creating your seller profile. Remember, the more accurate and detailed information you add, the more buyers will respond.
After verifying your account via phone, it’s time to offer your services as a seller by creating your your first gig.
To create a gig: Log in, click switch to selling and then click gigs.
- In the gig title field, add your title. keep it short, clear, and to the point.
2. In the CATEGORY drop-down menu, select the appropriate category and then subcategory for your Gig.
- Once you choose your category and click publish, it can not be changed.
- If your category is not available, just pick the closest relevant category.
3. In the service type drop-down menu, choose a service type so you can be found by buyers in need of your service.
4. In the gig metadata area, select the relevant criteria for each topic.
5. In the search tags field, add one to five words or phrases that best describe your Gig.
6. Click save & continue.
STEP 2: scope and pricing
- In the name your package area, write a brief title for the service you are offering.
- Describe the details of your offering in the area provided.
- In the delivery time drop-down menu, select the number of days it will take for you to complete your Gig.
- Select the various items you would like to include in your service (Extras).
- In the revisions drop-down menu, select the number of revisions you include in your Gig.
- In the price drop-down menu, select a price for your service (ranging from $5 to $995).
- In certain categories, you have the option to create three packages. Just click to turn on 3 packages or click try now.
- If you create three packages, your customized extra services will be available to buyers when they proceed to the checkout page.
Adding Extra Services
You have the option to deliver your Gig ExtraFast and charge accordingly.
I am a freelance writer, so I created a gig/service which states “I will write a 500-word content article”. Now, Buyers can order my service or “gig”.
The most common way to receive your earnings on Fiverr is through PayPal. Once you’re set-up, you can withdraw your earnings from the platform. (more on receiving earnings later)
So now a buyer can order your Service for whatever asking price you want. Buyers can pay by either Paypal or a credit card. Keep in mind there are fees for both Fiverr and Paypal. Once the order is made, you can begin to work while Fiverr holds on to the money.
It’s important to remember, once you set the delivery time you are committed. You must deliver within that timeframe. If you are late, then it will affect your seller’s profile and ratings. Additionally, If you don’t deliver within 24 hours after your original due date, the buyer can cancel the order altogether. And to top it off, they can leave you a negative rating.
Fiverr Scenario A: You deliver the content on time, the client is happy, and your client clicks the order complete. The Buyer then leaves you a review which is broken down into 3 aspects, your communication, worked as described, and a buy again or recommended.
Now, Fiverr will show how much money you have earned minus their 20% cut. But unfortunately, you still have to wait for your money. In fact, your money will be on hold for 14 days while you’re still a level 0 seller.
The four seller levels in the Fiverr system.
- Level 0 – AKA Member (cow symbol) – You do not have a level when you first sign up or are a level 0 (zero). Takes 14 days for the payments to get cleared
- Level 1 – You must be a member for 30 days and have 10 sales with positive ratings. – Takes 14 days for the payments to get cleared
- Level 2 – 50 orders in 2 months – Takes 7 days for the payments to get cleared
- Level 3 – AKA Top Rated – Must be hand-selected from the staff. Takes 7 days to get the payments cleared.
As you can see, as you level up, so will your reputation as a good writer and you will be rewarded with extra features. This is Fiverr’s way to make sure everything remains kosher (a safe community) after completion.
After 14 days have passed, your money will be shown as your earnings and is ready for withdrawal. I usually withdraw with PayPal although there are alternatives.
Fiverr Scenario B: Seller delivered the work, but the client didn’t like it. The buyer will request for modification/revision, and you will work until they’re satisfied. Once they mark the project complete then you are clear.
If the buyer is never satisfied with your work, then you can contact Fiverr support and they will perform an investigation. First Fiverr will read all the conversations and try to come to an agreement between you and the buyer. Now if the buyer just flat out doesn’t like your work and you never come to terms, the buyer can also contact customer support.
Is Fiverr free?
There is no fee for signing up although they do take 20%. Only those registered can buy and sell on Fiverr. Your initial sign up is only a buyer’s account.
Buyers who purchase your Gig pay Fiverr in advance. When your order is successfully delivered and completed, you will receive 80% of the total order value.
Avoid problems down the road
- Make sure your seller profile is complete.
- Make sure your Gigs are well written and describe the services you provide in great detail.
- Make sure your work samples accurately show your skills.
Fiverr is similar to the other platforms, and the competition can be fierce. At the start, you hope to find jobs while dropping your price significantly. With persistance, you’ll start to build your reputation as a freelance writer or copywriter. As in any job or skill, the more hustle and the more sacrifice (little pay) you give, and the more you learn the in’s and outs of the Fiverr platform, then you could end up doing decent in the long run.
This article concludes the answer to What is Fiverr?